Friday, November 7, 2008

Champagne Taste on a Beer Pocketbook


I can not remember how old I was when I first heard my mom say "champagne taste on a beer pocketbook". I don't know who or what she was referring to but at 33 the old adage rings true.

For me, there is nothing more decadent than a hot cup of joe. When I was working and could afford it (not really but I justified it anyways) you could always catch me with a cup of coffee I paid too much for from some java joint with a hip name. When I quit working and became a SAHM, I had to figure out a way to have my specialty coffee at home.

Long before I discovered the wonderful world of grocery blogs or even cared about coupons, I stumbled upon a site called Hillbilly Housewife and followed alot of her advice rigidly. I think the site has since changed hands but still runs on the same principles and recipes.

I have since went back to work part time now that the youngest is in school and you can still find me with a cup of coffee in my hand. The only difference is that now you will see my thermos or a coffee cup from home. I can no longer justify the price of luxury coffees when I can make them better at home for pennies on the dollar. I wanted to share a few of my favorite beverage recipes I gathered from HillBilly Housewife. You can see her whole post on bargain beverages here.


Magic Milkshakes - these taste just like a Frosty from Wendy's for about $0.25 a serving! We like to add a little peanut butter too!

Toffee Coffee Mix

Cafe Latte Mix - one of my all time favorites

Fruit Smoothie

Frozen Slushy

Spiced Milk Tea




blog comments powered by Disqus